Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Nuns' Hood


On the grounds of the prayer house where I am spending the week, there's a flight of wooden stairs. I went up them today on the advice that, a half-mile down the road, I would find the Delaware River. I did not expect that "the road" would turn out to be...


...this. A bicycle path with trees on one side and...


...a gorgeous, still brook on the other. It took my breath away. I thought of Psalm 42, "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Speaking of deer, I'm told there are 26 on the grounds. There is also...


...a labyrinth. I plan to walk it tomorrow.


Note to John R. and other readers who like Batman: One of the sisters here is a cousin of this man. She told me that he was very humble; at the time of his death last July, few residents of the small Connecticut town where he lived knew of his accomplishments.