Thursday, January 26, 2006

Crimes of Passion

Reader Saint Kansas sent me a news story about the BBC's "Manchester Passion," an Easter TV special which will feature rock musicians singing pop tunes in the guise of Jesus, Mary Magdalene, etc. I'm familiar with the songs, which are from the punk era through the 1990s. Many if not most of them were originally written about sex and drugs:

The climax of the event sees Jesus sing the Smiths classic song 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' as he is being flayed by Roman soldiers. He will then come face-to-face with his Roman prosecutor Pontius Pilate with the two of them singing a duet of the Oasis hit 'Wonderwall' and its chorus:

'I said maybe
You're gonna be the one who saves me?
And after all
You're my wonderwall.'
I thought the article was a joke, but further research revealed it's not.

From the first article:
BBC spokeswoman declined to comment on the details of the line-up but promised that the event would be "exciting".
Indeed.