My friend and Dawn Patrol jingle writer (click the logo above) Michael Lynch today sent his pals the following timely recipe, along with a great link:
Hello, me friends.
Well, it's Saint Patrick's Day, 2006, so O'Happy Day to all o'you....
Did you know that this year marks the 35th anniversary of the McDonald's Shamrock Shake? But...unfortunately, over the years, fewer and fewer Mickey D's have been offering it, and some of us really miss shakes of Shamrock sweetness.
So fear not...The thoroughly Irish me is now gonna teach you how to make your own, by way of my tried (twice) and true copycat recipe.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
Vanilla Ice Cream
Mint Extract (don't be lame and use Peppermint)
2% Low Fat milk
Green food coloring
A blender (or at least the muscles to stir really fast to approximate a blender)
Measuring spoons and cups
Faith in me
Some free time (This should not be a problem to anyone on MySpace, especially if you're reading this)
A copy of 'Them Again' to listen to while preparing.
Okay, put your Hollie Hobbie apron on, and let's get started:
* Take two cups of Vanilla ice cream and deposit them in the blender. (it's a good idea to have the ice cream carton out of the freezer for a few minutes before starting. Your blender will thank you later.)
* Then, add 1 & 1/4 cups of that 2% milk.
* Add about a quarter teaspoon of the mint extract.
* Put in a few drops of the food coloring.
And so far....in your blender you now have a big white lump of stuff that looks like someone spilled green ink on it...but here comes my fave part.
* Set the blender to high, flip the switch and watch it immediately and magically turn into a beautiful light green batch of something. (This is when your blender thanks you by not stiffening up.)
Let it blend for a minute or so, until you've achieved milkshake texture. Now pour into your glass, stick a straw in, suck through the straw so that the shake comes through the straw and into your mouth, swallow it after it does, and enjoy.
And while you're gulping it down, enjoy this McDonald's Shamrock Shake commercial from 1971, the year the Shamrock Shake made its world debut:
Happy Saint Patrick's Day.