Thursday, April 13, 2006

Kiss Met

A few days ago, I was thinking about why "feminist" bloggers such as Pandagon's Amanda and Feministe's Jill say The Dawn Patrol is one of their favorite guilty pleasures.

They and their kindred take delight in skewering what they perceive as my sex-negative views. In order to do this, they routinely create straw-man arguments. In their minds, I appear to be a 14-foot-tall towheaded golem, blocking abortion clinics with my body while spouting that the only purpose of sex is for procreation and that infertile couples had just as well quit bonking or risk hellfire.

Actually, that part about blocking abortion clinics with my body isn't such a bad idea — but it's been done.

Since A&J admit to being regular readers, I decided to get their attention with a post that would essentially call their bluff. I wrote an allegory about kissing, insinuating that true sexual freedom is accepting sex in all its meanings — pleasure, emotional union, and the possibility of procreation. To be truly sex-positive, one must be life-positive. Anything else stunts one emotionally and physically.

I didn't make the point so articulately in my post — in fact, it was clumsy, awkward, and corny.

But it did the job:

Amanda: "I’m guessing all the self-righteous non-contracepting women in her comments probably are still preserving some dignity withholding from truly, completely loving their men. For instance, I bet not a one of them shovels his sh-t in their mouths, grinning and swallowing Divine-style."

Jill (on the comments to my post): "...this clearly illustrates the anti-choice mentality: Sex isn’t about pleasure, and it’s especially not about female pleasure. It’s strictly about baby-making, and if you don’t want to make a baby then your sexual experiences should be filled with terror. "

Lindsay Beyerstein: "Isn't great ... that we have pills and IUDs that allow us to control fertility without drying up any of those nice seminal, vaginal, or oral juices? "

Erstwhile Wonkette Ana Marie Cox: "I have no idea what she's talking about but it's totally making me hot."


Meanwhile, my comments-section ban list fills because of all the trolls, but my hit counter goes way up.

I feel that I'm doing a public service by giving these angry people something nonviolent to do with their time. Kind of like that story, which is probably apocryphal, about how no tires were slashed in all of New York City on the night the Beatles made their Ed Sullivan debut.

Moreover, practically all the visitors from the angry blogs are people who would never bother to visit a blog just to read about the Biblical view of sexuality. I figure, if just one of them starts thinking about things differently thanks to coming here, then, praise God, I've done my job.

But even if no hearts are changed, my Truth Laid Bear rating spirals upward and my Google status improves with all the hits, so that kindred spirits have a better chance of finding this blog than they would otherwise.

Philippians 1:12-18:

I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;

So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places;

And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
Praise Him!