Saturday, July 29, 2006

Quote of the Day

"I cannot look into the future, as I said before, and say, This is going to happen to me and I'm so scared. I can't wake up every morning and say, Oh, my gosh, I'm going to die. You know, I wake up every morning and I say, I'm going to live, and I strive to meet that goal.

"So there's that possibility that somewhere along this line we made a wrong decision. But you know what? If I die, I'll die happy, and I will die healthy, and I will die in my home with my family, not in a hospital bed, bedridden and sick."

Abraham Cherrix, 16, who is fighting a judge's decision to take him out of his parents' medical care, make him a ward of the state, and force him to undergo chemotherapy for his Hodgkin's disease. (Read full coverage on The Rebelution blog.)


Note: Cherrix is not depriving himself of the necessities for life; he is attempting an alternative therapy for survival, one which a judge, ruling on behalf of the state, opposes. He had tried chemotherapy and, he and his parents say, it nearly killed him.]