Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Amazon touches your perfect body with its mind*

When my upcoming book, The Thrill of the Chaste: Finding Fulfillment While Keeping Your Clothes On, first went on sale on Amazon a couple of months ago, its Amazon page answered the question, "What do customers ultimately buy after viewing this item?" with selections like Whittaker Chambers' Witness, G.K. Chesterton and C.S. Lewis titles, and other books on chastity.

After a few weeks, the answer to Amazon's question suddenly changed to the soundtrack of the Leonard Cohen documentary I'm Your Man. Currently, the page claims that 86% of customers go on to buy my book, while the other 14% all go on to buy the Leonard Cohen album. I am certain that this is a joke by some wag at Amazon, who was amused at the idea that women who don't buy The Thrill of the Chaste would buy a guy who says, "I'm your man."

*For those under 40, here's the reference.