Thursday, November 16, 2006

Chastity goes postal

It's official: Although my book The Thrill of the Chaste: Finding Fulfillment While Keeping Your Clothes On is not due to hit stores until December 5, it has already begun shipping from Amazon.com.

Two super reviews hit the blogs yesterday from writers who received advance copies. From Kristine Steakley of The Point, the official blog of Chuck Colson's BreakPoint:

While chastity might not seem all that thrilling, Eden manages to make all the biblically correct arguments for living a single life in obedience to God's rules for sex without being prudish or naive. Eden tells her own story of coming to Christ at the age of 31 and the struggle of learning how to live this new life of service to God instead of slavery to one's passions. She talks honestly about the messages the world offers ("Just believe in yourself") and the hopelessness they engender. "It's not hard," she writes, "for me to find someone to love the me I love. What I never imagined before I was chaste was that I could hope to find someone to love the me I don't love." [Read the full review.]
And from Paul Catalanotto of Alive and Young, who received his advance copy so that he might book me for a talk in the parish where he is a religious educator (it's in the works):
The Thrill of the Chaste is a book that has been needed for many years to fill an absence in the chastity literature [genre]: the target audience is not teens but mature adults and young adults. In her book, Dawn also manages to bridge the gap between the secular and religious reasons for chastity as it calls us to rethink the meaning of sexuality. Staunch secularists will call it too religious. Conservative Christians will call it too secular, but what the text cannot be called is wrong. She speaks the truth, for she has “been there and done that”. [Read the full review.]