Monday, May 7, 2007

Hollywood gets The Thrill

While I'm still hoping for a Thrill of the Chaste movie, Hollywood comes calling this Thursday night, May 10, when a crew for a documentary produced by a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Star Wars" producer will film my speech to the New York Young Republican Club.

The documentary is about the politics of abortion in America — a subject completely absent from my book, which makes no mention of abortion. I believe the filmmakers are interested in me because of my having taken a public stand for life. Also, I believe they are aware that, while one need not be pro-life to be chaste, the chastity movement is an essential part of the pro-life movement, just as the movement for so-called comprehensive sexual education is an essential part of the abortion-advocacy movement.

One always takes a chance when one participates in a documentary such as this. However, the filmmakers have told me that they want to depict all sides of the issue, and their track record leads me to believe that they are making a serious film and not a diatribe.

The documentary's producer is Howard G. Kazanjian, whose film credits go all the way back to "Finian's Rainbow" (!). His previous productions include "More American Graffiti," "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (executive producer), and "Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi."

Kajanjian won't be at the Young Republicans meeting, but one crew member who will be there is cameraman Todd Fisher, who's spent much of his life behind the camera and occasionally in front of it.

I hope you can make it to the meeting, which will also feature speakers Star Parker, founder of CURE, and Richmond County DA Daniel M. Donovan. It's at the Soldiers', Sailors', Marines' and Airmens' Club, 283 Lexington Ave. (between 36th and 37th streets), 2nd floor, Manhattan, this Thursday at 7:15 p.m. Admission is free for NYYRC members, $5 for nonmembers, and $2 for students.