Saturday, March 5, 2005

It's the Great Commission, Charlie Brown

Reality bent for one wonderful moment last night when I opened up the newspaper and found this little gem. If you want to know exactly how I felt when I lost my job, that's it.

I remember when that strip first came out. I had no idea what it meant. I just knew the apostle's name from the Peanuts strip where Charlie Brown, Linus, and Lucy are looking at the clouds, and Linus says the cloud formation resembles the stoning of St. Stephen with the apostle Paul standing to one side. I think about it now and marvel at Charles Schulz's creative genius, as well as his courage. Who can imagine reading about the stoning of St. Stephen in a comic strip today? The cartoonist would be denounced as a right-wing Christian fanatic. Yet Charles Schulz in his time was beloved by liberals and conservatives alike.

In the clouds strip, after Linus has described the biblical imagery that he spies in the heavens, Lucy asks Charlie Brown what he sees in the clouds. He replies, "I was going to say I saw a ducky and a horsy, but I changed my mind."