Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Katz Meow

Here I am in the bathroom mirror at 1:15 a.m. today, doing my part for the blogger campaign to annoy Christopher Hanson, the writer who complained of The Dawn Patrol's "glamour photos." My head is tilted at an angle calculated to hide the unglamorous dark circles under my eyes.

POP GEAR! went very well. I like to open my set with a novelty record before moving into the garage, beat, psych, and girl-group music. Last night, I kicked off with "Noshville Katz," a brilliant parody of the Lovin' Spoonful's "Nashville Cats," by the Lovin' Cohens. (You can hear it on archived WFMU radio shows by Michael Shelley and Bill Kelly.) There were two people there who remembered the song and were thrilled to hear it, which in turn made me very happy. "Noshville Katz, he runs a kosher deli..."

UPDATE: J Rob joins the Annoy Christopher Hanson campaign. Hubba hubba. (And did I mention that Joel gets three va's and a voom?)