Friday, April 8, 2005

Holy Without Fear

Alarming News's pseudonymous token-liberal guest blogger Dawn Summers takes a break from agitating the blog's conservative readers to share her memories of witnessing Pope John Paul II speak at a Sunday Mass for youth in Poland:

His speech was short and he quoted biblical passages, but the thing I clearly remember him saying was that we as young people couldn't be afraid to be holy.

Hmm, not afraid to be holy? Didn't he know that God was so not cool? That my best friend, an atheist, always said that I was probably the smartest person he knew "except for that whole church thing?"

But for one moment surrounded by a million other Catholic kids, crying and praying, and I'm fairly sure that one girl just shouted "I love you John Paul," I could imagine not being afraid to be holy.
Read the whole thing.