Thursday, June 23, 2005

Gibb Me a Break

In the "Curiosity Killed the Cat" Department:

I confess that I tracked through every single one of the 20 tracks on the unreleased Robin Gibb album currently available on Bedazzled.

That is a considerable swath of my life that I will never get back.

Man, is it depressing. I don't know the history of the album, but I'm guessing Robin made it just after his sorrowful brothers, missing him, recorded their lonesome masterpiece Cucumber Castle. Well, emotionally speaking, this makes that album sound like Sergio Mendes by comparison. It makes Neil Young's Tonight's the Night sound like The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Co. It makes Big Star Third sound like "Potato's in the Paddy Wagon." It makes "I Started a Joke" sound like Jose Jimenez.

The worst part is, the first 20 seconds of the first ten songs or so make them sound worthwhile. They hook you. And then you're sorry.

This is not so bad it's good. This is just plain bad. You have been warned.