Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Luck Be a Lady

This is for Saint Kansas, who I know will appreciate it:

As I was riding the PATH train home last night, reading an advance copy of the latest book by the man a friend of mine affectionately calls "Joey Ratz," I was distracted by the man next to me a and his girlfriend, who was lounging with her head on his chest.

The couple were in their 20s, smelling of sweat and beer. The man was a Cockney stringbean who probably does a decent Jude Law impression. The woman was a slightly zaftig New Yorker with long brown hair. From their conversation, I gathered that they had just seen Coldplay at the Garden.

The woman lifted her head at intervals to exclaim some variation of,

"That was so f---ing awesome!"

After a couple of those, she got specific:

"Chris Martin was f---ing amazing."

This was followed by another brief interval. Then she said, with due gravity, in a dramatically low tone:

"Gwyneth Paltrow is a lucky woman."