Thursday, December 7, 2006

Trill of the (not-yet-)chaste

In August 2002, I had the opportunity to live out my rock-star dream for one night, performing two songs at the legendary Hoboken nightclub Maxwell's. The occasion was a multi-artist record-release party for the Stiff Records tribute collection The Stiff Generation, on which I covered singer-songwriter Kirsty MacColl's "They Don't Know" (a hit for Tracey Ullman). At the concert, as on disc, I was backed by the excellent Anderson Council, plus my friend and neighbor Chris Butler, formerly of the Waitresses, joined me as a special guest.

So, here is the pre-chastity me performing "They Don't Know" at the show, with little modesty and even less vocal talent. Yet somehow it is good to know that, when put on the spot, I am capable of summoning mountainous reserves of chutzpah: