Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Pew confessions

The other day, I sent the wonderful Catholic song parodist Nick Alexander an idea out of the blue, inspired by reading Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen's "Calvary and the Mass" on the train home: Procol Harum's "Conquistador" redone as "Confiteor."

That was the extent of my inspiration; in less than a day and a half, Nick has created a firs draft of the lyrics — and it's brill. Here's a sample:

Confiteor, the start of mass: exactly what I need
Before encountering the King, I'll need some purity

So I beat upon my breast
And then I bow in shame.
Do others feel disgraced
Because they know my name?

And yet I pray, Lord, if Thou be inclined
To be my Saviour, woe, I'm so blind...

Confiteor's my chance to rid: my apostasy
Wonder if my neighbor's kids, are half as bad as me
Read the whole thing. I can't wait to hear it. In the meantime, you can hear some of Nick's parodies on his MySpace page.

Will be away from blogging and e-mail for most of today and tomorrow.