Monday, December 1, 2008

Twilight of the false gods

The Catholic mom who, through her Spes Unica blog, is doing yeoman's work alerting parents about the disturbing message of the Twilight books and film, has an important new post—"Is Twilight Anti-Christian? Yes":

There was a time (which is thankfully returning) when young children were asked “Why did God make you?” They would be expected to reply: “To know, love and serve Him in this life and to be happy with Him in the next.” Why was it so important that young children had that memorized? Because that one little sentence captured the meaning of human life. It also gave direction. Anything that I would do that helped me to know, love and serve God and be happy with Him forever was a good thing. Anything that I might do which prevented me from knowing, loving and serving God and being happy with Him forever was a bad thing.

OK - so, now we need to look at [Twilight series heroine] Bella’s reason for living. Is it consistent with the truth? ...

After her “rebirth” as a vampire in Breaking Dawn, Bella says, ”I was amazing now - to them and to myself.It was like I had been born to be a vampire. The idea made me want to laugh, but it also made me want to sing. I had found my true place in the world, the place I fit, the place I shined.” [...]

So what does Bella experience by becoming a vampire? A greater ability to enjoy the “forbidden fruit” that is [her vampire husband] Edward: ”I could really appreciate him now… He was all new, a different person as our bodies tangled gracefully into one on the sand-pale floor. No caution, no restraint. No fear - especially not that. We could love together - both active participants now. Finally equals… I was never going to get tired, and neither was he. We didn’t have to catch our breath or rest or eat or even use the bathroom; we had no more mundane human needs. He had the most beautiful perfect body in the world and I had him all to myself, and it didn’t feel like I was ever going to find a point where I would think, Now I’ve had enough for one day. I was always going to want more. And the day was never going to end. So in such a situation, how did we ever stop?” p.482/3. The purpose of Bella’s life had become knowing, loving and serving Edward and being happy with him forever.
[Read the full article.]