Friday, January 23, 2009

Panama's oldest newspaper gets The Thrill

I was surprised to find that today's edition of La Estrella, Panama's oldest newspaper, featured an article on me.

While my Spanish is not strong, it appears the article is taken from the Sunday Times of London article I wrote two years ago. Reinforcing this suspicion is that the reporter is under the impression that I am British, and seems unaware that my book The Thrill of the Chaste has now been published in Spanish. Still, it is wonderful to see The Thrill still getting press two years after its publication.

RELATED: I wasn't happy with the way my Sunday Times article was altered by the editor, who sensationalized it, so I was glad to have the opportunity to rewrite it for Canada's National Post. That version in turn was published in Spanish by the Colombia newspaper El Espectador, in what I'm told is a good translation.