Friday, February 13, 2009

The Crosby show

Some Bing for your Valentine's Day:



I am praying today for my friends who would like to be married. Valentine's Day can be tough for single people, myself included.

At the same time, it is good to be reminded that love does not find its finality in a person. It is always meant to point beyond itself—upward.

When I was a child, I was happy to get a Valentine from anyone; I didn't think of it as being a day just for romantic lovers. It was only when I was old enough to think about romance that Valentine's Day carried with it the fear of being alone.

The truth is, I was not alone then, and I am not alone now. I have always been blessed with people who love and care about me.

Loneliness for someone to share my life with is a valid feeling; it's not something I can or should attempt to deny for the sake of claiming fulfillment in Christ. At the same time, with each passing year, I feel more and more that such a feeling loses its meaning unless it is directed towards making more room for Jesus in my heart, for the simple reason that He never stops reaching out to me.

I find it very moving that an analysis of a Eucharistic miracle found that, when the consecrated Host had become heart tissue. He truly gives us His heart, and all he asks for is ours.

O my God! I love Thee above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because Thou art all-good and worthy of all love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of Thee. I forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured.

RELATED: "Aunt Judie," a widow, draws upon a beautiful memory to remind her nieces and nephews that every day is an opportunity to show love.