Tuesday, May 26, 2009

'Fellow,' it's me

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you know that, as I finished my first year of graduate studies in theology earlier this month, I asked for prayers to help me find a summer job.

Today, I want to thank you so much for your prayers, because they were answered—and how!

I didn't just get a summer job, but a job job, working for a nonprofit whose mission is very close to my heart. Yesterday was my first day as Senior Fellow, Publications and New Media Outreach, for America's oldest national pro-life organization, Americans United for Life. My focus will be on writing and research to promote AUL’s legal expertise through both traditional media and online outlets.

After I became a Christian nearly ten years ago, protecting the dignity of life from conception until natural death became increasingly important to me. In 2005, when I made the decision to enter into full communion with the Catholic Church, it was in no small part because of the Church's consistent stand for life.

So, although AUL is a human institution, becoming part of it has a vocational aspect for me, because it enables me to use my writing and editing abilities for a cause that I believe in. As when I wrote The Thrill of the Chaste, I believe that the work I am doing for AUL puts me at one with all those who are working to heal the culture .

I also hope to work to heal the culture on more of a person-to-person level, as a professor of theology at a small Catholic college. To that end, I will be continuing my schooling in the fall. After studying full-time this past year, it will be a challenge to work at the same time as attending school, but it is worth it for the opportunity to contribute to a movement and a cause that mean so much to me.

Thank you so much again for your prayers. I would be grateful if you would keep them coming.