Friday, December 15, 2006

Goodwill of the chaste

(Yes, I am scraping the bottom of the barrel for rhymes ...)

A quick note from the road: The tour is going wonderfully and I am having the time of my life. One of my favorite things about giving talks and signings is getting to meet Dawn Patrol readers and other blogger pals. So far, I've had the great pleasure of meeting Bender, Kristine SteakleyMario MirarchiChug RobertsPia de Solenni, and many others. I even received some presents: A reader named Jeff answered my call (on thrillofthechaste.com) for songs about chastity by giving me a copy of the lyrics to a beautiful T-Bone Burnett song that epitomizes marital love (I'll print them when I get back; can any readers guess which song it was?), and another reader, Alan, gave me a copy of a book I'd mentioned I wanted to read: Pope John Paul II's Sign of Contradiction.

I also had the pleasure of riding the Metro with Peregrinator of Canterbury Tales, who I see is now telling the world about the experience. It turns out he is friends with not only my friend Matthew Alderman of Holy Whapping but also Vincent Uher, who, like Peregrinator, is an Anglican priest who converted to Catholicism, and who happens to have been a childhood friend of my sister's. I remember seeing Vincent around when I was a little kid growing up Jewish in Galveston, Texas — now we're both in the same church, with mutual friends. That is one of the things I love about the Communion of Saints: It is so huge, and yet it can seem as intimate as a family.

If you're in the Baltimore area, please come see me give a talk and signing tomorrow (Saturday) at 4:30 p.m. at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, which, contrary to what I wrote previously, is not specifically for a young-adult group; it's open to all.