Monday, January 22, 2007

Jill Fil takes chill pill

Feministe's Jill Filipovic yesterday dove into the lively discussion (currently at 181 comments and counting) of my "Absolute Feministe" post.

In one of her responses, Jill wrote in part:

I'm arguing that there exists a fundamentalist, patriarchal mentality which is premised on the sexual control of women. "Chastity," in the sense that women who don't toe a particular sexual line are "soiled," is part of that.
I responded,
"Chastity," in the sense that women who don't toe a particular sexual line are "soiled," is part of that.

I don't believe that, Jill. I believe you're creating a straw-man argument because knowing the truth about what chastity is would force you to reexamine the prejudices through which you define Christians and other so-called "fundies." Try following the link I provide in this post to Deus Caritas Est to find out what Christians really believe about chastity.
Since then, as of this writing, Jill has responded only with silence, so I don't know if she'll have anything more to add to the discussion. Regardless, if you would like to add your comment to "Absolute Feministe," methinks she'll read it.

I'd like to keep all the responses to "Absolute Feministe" together, so please leave yours there. Thank you.