Sunday, October 7, 2007

See you in church

It's been a wonderful week here in Dublin and Drogheda, and now I'm off to London to speak tomorrow night at 7 p.m. at Farm Street Church.

London has long been an important city for me, and until recently, when I moved to Washington, it was my favorite city in the world. I have been there ten times, including in 1982, when I blew my bat mitzvah gift money on a two-week trip with my mother (when I sneaked a peek at the script of "The Meaning of Life" in Monty Python's offices); in 1992, when I spent two weeks living in the guest house at Abbey Road (doing interviews for my Hollies liner notes); in 1998, when I interviewed Julian Lennon in a rehearsal studio, and the last time I was there, in the summer of 2004, when I took part in a G.K. Chesterton pilgrimage hosted by the American Chesterton Society's Dale Ahlquist. This will be my first time there as a Catholic.

Considering how important Chesterton was to my conversion, it feels like my life is coming full circle as I return to the place where he made his name. I am so thankful to be speaking there and hope you will come if you are in the vicinity.