Monday, October 17, 2011

First Things first

I was very happy to discover a kind mention of my first book, The Thrill of the Chaste, in a review on  First Things' website of Wesley Hill's Washed and Waiting. Father Leonard R. Klein, the director of Pro-Life Activities for the Diocese of Wilmington, Delaware, writes:

Neither marriage nor the rejection of marriage guarantees happiness. Sexual intimacy is not a certain cure for loneliness or for anything else that goes wrong in the tragedy and comedy of human existence. This context of [Hill's] celibacy needs further reflection. I expect and hope there will be a book that will push the matter forward, much in the mode of Dawn Eden's The Thrill of the Chaste.

I hope so too. It is good to hear of other people writing about the experience of conversion of lifestyle, and particularly the freedom that comes from no longer expecting sexual intimacy to fill the spiritual hole that cannot be filled. Although my next book, My Peace I Give You: Healing Sexual Wounds with the Help of the Saints (due in April from Ave Maria Press), is not focused on chastity as was The Thrill, I continue to explore ways to heal the disconnect between what we most deeply desire and how we seek it.