Wednesday, May 2, 2012

'Understanding more clearly" brings "hope and joy"
My Peace reader shares her thoughts in Amazon review

I've been extremely gratified to see the Amazon reader reviews of My Peace I Give You, my new book of Catholic spirituality for adult victims of childhood sexual abuse, but none has made me so happy as the latest one, posted today.

The author, Margaret Mary, is the first My Peace reader to write about it from the perspective of having personally suffered abuse. In doing so, she shows the kind of bravery that is, I believe, exactly what the Holy Spirit is calling victims to display, so that we may help others heal. We are called to be saints, and saints are, above all, witnesses to the reality of the Resurrection—"we are all witnesses," said St. Peter. In witnessing to the share in the Resurrection that we ourselves have received that we give others hope that God, through His grace, can draw good out of even the greatest evil, comforting others with the comfort we ourselves have received, as St. Paul says (2 Cor 1:3-7).

Margaret Mary writes:

"As a Catholic adult who was sexually abused as a child, I pre-ordered My Peace I Give You, waiting eagerly to receive it. To say I was NOT disappointed would be an understatement. If you are a Catholic who was sexually abused as a child, this book is for you. Even if you were not, if you have suffered from other abuse or neglect ... indeed, whatever you suffer, there is much that you, too, can learn from this book. And if you are close to someone who was sexually abused as a child, it will give you a greater understanding. ..."

Read the full review on Amazon.com.

What makes me happiest is Margaret's closing line: "My emotions in reading this book were relief in understanding more clearly, and overall, a sense of hope and joy."