Wednesday, June 1, 2022

UPDATED: Latest news on Father Ed--including plans for the book launch

Bill W. and Father Ed seated at a restaurant table
Bill W. and Father Edward Dowling, SJ, circa 1956

This week, I had the great joy of completing my biography of Father Edward Dowling, SJ, Father Ed: The Story of Bill W.'s Spiritual Sponsor. Now the entire manuscript is with the publisher, Orbis Books, which will publish it at the beginning of December. The book is already available for pre-order at Amazon.com.

Although the Amazon page for Father Ed says the book is 240 pages, it will likely prove to be about 400 pages, as the manuscript came to more than 140,000 words. Below is a sneak peek at the table of contents.

Table of contents for Father Ed: The Story of Bill W.'s Spiritual Sponsor

UPDATE, June 2, 2022: I originally posted that the book launch would be at my parish, St. Joseph's on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, on the publication date for Father Ed, which is currently set for December 1. However, my publisher has informed me that it needs to review its production schedule to determine whether the printer can have copies ready in time for that date. So I'm holding off on announcing speaking appearances until the exact publication date is confirmed, which should be soon. Once that happens, I hope to announce talks on Father Ed in Cincinnati, Akron, St. Louis, and Memphis, as well as Washington, so keep an eye on my events page.