Monday, January 15, 2007

Basement japes, final installment

Here are the final minutes of my January 3 debate vs. Virginia Vitzthum on "Is Chastity a Good Idea for Singles," as seen in the Observer (U.K.):

About 30 seconds of the first clip is taken up with my stammering. I was trying to articulate a difficult point. What I wanted to say finally comes to me at the very end.

One thing I find interesting is how the anti-chastity folks in the crowd applauded when someone attributed my dissatisfaction with premarital sex to low self-esteem. They seemed to assume that if one had premarital sex for the "right" motivations, one would not feel dissatisfied. I argue more effectively against that canard in my book and my Sunday Times piece.



More questions:



And the final statements:



To learn how the debate ended, see the Observer article.

PREVIOUS INSTALLMENT: Basement japes, part 8

Buy The Thrill of the Chaste: Finding Fulfillment While Keeping Your Clothes On at Amazon.com.