Thursday, June 18, 2009

Washington Times' Amanda Carpenter spotlights 'Sex and Chastity'

Amanda Carpenter, the Washington Times columnist who is a frequent guest on news TV shows such as the "O'Reilly Factor," wrote me yesterday to ask if I would speak about my blog entry on Chastity Bono's "sex change," "Sex and Chastity."

The story appears today in Carpenter's "Hot Button" column. Many thanks to her for giving me the opportunity to expand upon some of the points I made in the blog post and in my book The Thrill of the Chaste. Here is what I had to say:

""I am born again, but in the body that I was supposed to have. Chastity [Bono] is seeking a rebirth that's really a death of the entire body she was given.

"Any attempt to change one's sex is really an attempt to kill one's self. When I was younger and sought sex outside marriage, living the life I thought would bring happiness, it instead brought loneliness and made me suicidal. What I experienced in my conversion was the death of the things I didn't like about myself, and a rebirth of the person who was meant to live in the body I was born with. I think that is the only way one can truly have peace in both body and soul."

Read the full story in Carpenter's column.