Monday, March 5, 2012

Colossal day

Today is the first full day of my first-ever pilgrimage to Rome, and it's begun to hit me that I really am here at last. The deciding moment was when I turned a corner on my way to Mass at the station church of San Clemente and saw the Colosseum looming directly ahead.

Since I woke up late (jet lag), I arrived during the Our Father, so decided to make a spiritual communion. As mentioned yesterday, you (yes, you) were in my prayers. I am grateful for yours during what has already proven to be a grace-filled trip.

Being in the basilica of one of the martyrs who is named in the Canon of the Mass, I thought especially about those friends, family, and Dawn Patrol readers who helped to pray me into the Church. I am so grateful to you. All the beautiful things that have happened in my life over the past few years, including (not least of all) my growing understanding of my vocation are in part thanks to your prayers. You are part of any and all good that the Lord enables me to do.


Tomorrow, I am thrilled to be visiting the office of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, to meet an official there who helped me as I researched my upcoming book My Peace I Give You: Healing Sexual Wounds with the Help of the Saints. (Speaking of My Peace, this is your daily reminder to come to my April 23 book-launch event if you can.)