Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Truth, forgiveness, justice

Since reading Michael Barrick's moving account of how My Peace I Give You, along with the courage he witnessed in Jerry Sandusky's victims, gave him the courage he needed to speak out, I have been engaging in personal reflection.

One point upon which I have been reflecting is Barrick's observation about Penn State's erasing Sandusky's name from a mural. He writes:

What does the future hold? I don't know. But I know this: Sandusky's image can be removed from anywhere and everywhere—except in the minds and memories of his victims.

I'm no expert on how to help victims recover from sexual abuse. But they've taken the most important first step. They have told the truth.
I have also been reflecting upon the points I make in My Peace I Give You, on what forgiveness is and what it isn't. Specifically, "Forgiveness does not mean forgoing the demands of justice."

I have forgiven. But Michael's words made me realize I have not yet followed the demands of justice, which require sharing the truth with those who may be helped by it.

Henry Marshall Ph.D. is a healthcare psychologist whose past experience includes working with disturbed children. An American currently living in Amsterdam, he is licensed by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists (License No. 2-1541) and by the Netherlands' licensing board (BIG-register 19051371625). According to his LinkedIn profile, he is "co-leading therapeutic groups for all ages." He co-founded an organization called Tri-Energetics and, through another organization, inpeacenet, is involved with various retreats, including the Y-E-S Your Essential Self Stillness Retreat. He records collections of mantras under the name Henry Marshall & The Playshop Family.

If you are a parent who is considering having your child treated by Henry Marshall, there is something personal that I would like to share with you. Please write to me.