Thursday, September 14, 2017

News from Eden: Editing a book by a certain Jesuit named Francis

If you'd like to know what I've been up to lately besides my work as an assistant professor of dogmatic theology at Holy Apostles College and Seminary, here are excerpts from an update I recently sent to friends and family (which has been reprinted online by Catholic columnist Matt J. Abbott):
  • Two new books in the pipeline: Over the summer, I wrote a proposal and two chapters of a memoir, tentatively titled Sunday Will Never Be the Same: My Search for Infinite Love, From Rock to Rome. I also wrote a proposal for a book of my dissertation, reframed with the tentative title Consecrating the World Through Spiritual Sacrifices: Redemptive Suffering as an Act of the Baptismal Priesthood. Both proposals are currently being reviewed by publishers, so I'm hoping to have some more good news to share with you soon. Please say a prayer.
  • An edited book coming soon: Another project that kept me busy over the summer was editing Fun Is Not Enough, a collection of thought-provoking essays on faith, freedom, and pro-life issues that my late friend and mentor Francis Canavan, S.J., wrote for the catholic eye newsletter. Fun Is Not Enough has already earned praise from National Review Online's Kathryn Jean Lopez, who writes, 'This book empowers the reader to see beyond the daily distractions of politics, culture, and our overstimulated lives, and keep the focus on the truth in Christ.' The book, which includes an introduction by Stephen M. Fields, S.J., will be launched on October 26 at the Human Life Foundation's annual Defender of Life gala at the Union League Club, where I will speak briefly about Father Canavan before the evening's honoree, Carly Fiorina, is introduced.
  • An upcoming conference presentation at an Ave Maria University: I'm very excited to be presenting a paper at the Aquinas and the Greek Fathers conference at Ave Maria University in January. My topic will be "St. Thomas Aquinas, Pseudo-Dionysius, and St. John Chrysostom on Galatians 2:20 and the Purification of Love."