Saturday, September 7, 2024

My Father Twomey biography is now fully "Kickstarted"!

Last Sunday—which coincidentally was the birthday of my previous biographical subject, Father Edward Dowling, S.J.—I awoke to the wonderful news that my Kickstarter for my next biography was fully funded. Thanks to nearly ninety backers who believe in the project, I now have the means to devote myself fully for the next five months to writing the life story that I have been researching for more than a year: A Priest in Good Trouble: Father Louis J. Twomey, S.J.’s Battle for Human Dignity with MLK in the Deep South.

If you haven't backed the Kickstarter, there is still time to chip in to help fulfill my stretch goal, which will fund my hiring a professional to create the index for A Priest in Good Trouble (as my publisher, like most publishers today, requires the author to provide the index). But, in any case, I'm grateful and relieved to have my living expenses covered as I tell the story of the Jesuit priest who was the first Catholic ally of Martin Luther King Jr.


 

This week also brought several new media items related to my Father Twomey research: 

My video interview on Father Twomey and my own journey for Thomas Howes and James McGill Patterson's podcast Why Postliberalism Failed (above). It was a great pleasure speaking with Dr. Howes and Dr. Patterson, whose work promoting democratic principles and countering harmful ideologies is in many ways a modern-day continuation of Father Twomey's mission. They not only gave me the opportunity to speak about Twomey's work but also asked me about my personal journey. Because I felt comfortable with them and appreciated their own openness, I ended up sharing more of my inner life than I normally share in interviews. So, even if you've heard me speak about my life and views before, I don't think you've ever heard the exact things I share in this interview. 

— In the Vital Center journal (edited by Howes), a preview of my Father Twomey research: "Mater Si, Buckley No: The Jesuit Who Took on National Review's 'Compartmentalized Catholics." The article gives a good idea of how, in A Priest of Good Trouble, I'll be tracing Father Twomey's participation in the public discussions of his time, many of which are echoed in today's discourse. 

My video interview with Tom Neal for his "Sharing the Faith" podcast. This too was a warm and highly enjoyable conversation. Tom and I have known each other for many years, and I greatly admire his work as a layman who has dedicated much of his life to the formation of candidates for the priesthood. In the interview, I appreciated his asking me about my Father Dowling biography as well as my Father Twomey research. 


My friend Stefan Gigacz of Cardijn Research, who was passing through Washington on his way to the Peter Maurin Conference in Chicago, snapped this photo of me last Tuesday, on my 56th birthday. Earlier that day, in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament and my spiritual director, I renewed my dedication of my celibacy to the Sacred Heart, which is like a renewal of marriage vows, only to God. All of my Kickstarter backers were in my prayers, as well as all my family, friends, spiritual family, and readers of my writings. I enter my 57th year full of hope and gratitude for being able to tell the story of Father Twomey's life and achievements. Thank you for your part in that. God bless you!